The best meal plan for losing weight is one that is nutritious and sustainable while still reducing the amount of calories, fat, salt, and sugar you eat in a day
The best meal plan for losing weight is one that is nutritious and sustainable. While no one meal plan works for everyone, you should make sure that you are getting the required amount of nutrients while still reducing the amount of calories, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, and added sugar.
A healthy weight-loss meal plan should include:
- Fat-free or low-fat dairy products
- Protein-rich foods (lean meat, fish, skinless poultry, beans, peas)
- Whole-grain foods (whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice)
- Pasta, cereal, bagels, bread, tortillas, crackers
- Fruits and dried fruits
- Vegetables without salt
- Olive oil, seeds, nuts, spices and herbs
7 diet plans for weight loss
- Mediterranean diet: The Mediterranean diet emphasizes eating foods high in fiber, lean protein, and unsaturated fats (fruits, vegetables, olive oil, fish).
- Clean diet: A clean diet emphasizes consuming nutrient-dense foods in their natural state (or as close to it as possible) rather than highly processed foods with added chemicals and preservatives. The principle of clean eating is to consume foods in their purest, unmodified forms to optimize health.
- High-protein diet: A high-protein diet emphasizes consuming leaner protein, which keeps food cravings to a minimum. This meal plan is ideal for gym goers and outdoor enthusiasts. Animal protein in this meal plan is all free-range, and greens and potatoes should be pesticide-free.
- Keto diet: The keto diet uses fat as its primary fuel source, and it is packed with sustainably sourced meats, fresh caught seafood, and organic dairy.
- Paleo diet: The paleo diet is a calorie-restricted diet that contains no artificial foods and consists of organic meat, seafood, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. This diet recommends eating foods that are gluten-free, soy-free, and grain-free.
- Low-sodium diet: A low-sodium diet limits your consumption of salt to a daily maximum of 2,300 milligrams. Always prioritize fresh fruits and vegetables when following a low-sodium diet because they are both low in sodium and a good source of nutrients.
- Therapeutic lifestyle change diet: This is a diet that is high in soluble fiber and protein and low in trans and saturated fats. It recommends that you consume less than 7% of your total calorie requirement from saturated fats and keep your dietary cholesterol below 200 milligrams. People on this diet are encouraged to eat more fruits, whole grains, vegetables, poultry, fish, lean meat, and low-fat dairy products.
What should I eat for breakfast to lose weight?
Eating more protein for breakfast may result in a significant improvement in your weight loss efforts. According to studies, including 30 grams of protein in your breakfast meal keeps you satisfied and less hungry throughout the day. This can help with weight loss because foods high in protein take longer to digest than traditional breakfast foods that are high in carbohydrates.
High-protein breakfasts can help:
- Control appetite
- Increase satiety through the day
- Help stabilize blood glucose
Breakfast foods high in protein include:
- Low-fat milk
- Slice of cheese
- Breakfast meats, including bacon, ham, and smoked salmon
If you want to try high-protein breakfasts, experiment with different combinations of foods. But remember to balance your meal with high-fiber foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grain toast, or whole grain cereal.
Latest Diet & Weight Management News
Medically Reviewed on 10/13/2021
Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/index.html
What You Should Know Before You Start A Weight-loss Plan: https://familydoctor.org/what-you-should-know-before-you-start-a-weight-loss-plan/