Besides sharing the health benefits of common table salt, pink Himalayan salt is believed to be healthier because it contains more trace minerals
Besides sharing the health benefits of common table salt, pink Himalayan salt is believed to be healthier because it contains more trace minerals.
What is pink Himalayan salt?
Pink Himalayan salt is a distinct variety of salt that differs slightly in color and composition.
It is found in the Punjab and Pakistan region of the Himalayas, in the Khewra salt mine (one of the oldest salt mines in the world).
Why does the body need salt?
Salt is nothing but sodium chloride in chemical composition. Together with water, salt is required by every cell for proper functioning.
Sodium is vital for health because it helps:
- Contract muscles
- Maintain fluid balance in the body
- Maintain cell structure and shape
- Send nerve impulses from one nerve to another as well as from one nerve to the muscle
- Prevent low blood pressure via its action on the kidneys, adrenal glands and specialized receptors present on the tongue, throat and brain
Chloride is also important because it:
- Helps balance the amount of fluid inside and outside of cells
- Helps maintain proper blood volume
- Maintains blood pressure
- Maintains pH of the body fluids
Loss of sodium and chloride are often associated with exhaustion, poor physical performance, and headaches.
Is pink Himalayan salt healthier?
Many of the supposed health benefits of Himalayan salt are not backed by scientific study. These benefits include:
- Improvement in respiratory diseases
- Correction of electrolyte imbalances in the body
- Reduction in the signs of aging
- Better cellular function aided by micronutrients
However, there is no evidence that pink salt is healthier than table salt.
How is pink Himalayan salt used?
- Dietary uses: The main method of consumption is adding it to food.
- Nondietary uses: Although the benefits are not proven yet, some people use pink salt as:
- Salt lamps, which are believed to reduce air pollutants
- Salt baths, which are believed to improve various skin conditions
What are the risks of pink Himalayan salt?
Iodine is a very important element needed for proper thyroid function and cell metabolism in the body. Iodine is usually added during the processing of common salt, but because pink salt is usually not processed, there is a greater risk of iodine deficiency in the body if you only eat pink salt.
High sodium intake
Just as with regular salt, if pink salt is not consumed in moderation, it can lead to various health problems, such as:
Medically Reviewed on 10/12/2021
Cleveland Clinic. Are There Any Health Benefits to Himalayan Salt Lamps? https://health.clevelandclinic.org/are-there-any-health-benefits-to-himalayan-salt-lamps/
Fayet-Moore F, Wibisono C, Carr P, et al. An Analysis of the Mineral Composition of Pink Salt Available in Australia. Foods. 2020;9(10):1490. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7603209/